We are currently evaluating our needs for next season. Check back in March 2017. Thank you!
So, you are interested in becoming a sea turtle patrol volunteer. The first thing you need to know is that our squad is on the beach about 15 minutes prior to sunrise every day from May 1 through October 31. If you can't make it out of bed that early then the turtle patrol is not for you. If early mornings are not a problem, read on to find out more.
There are a few other requirements you'll need to meet in order to volunteer with us. You must:
- be a reliable adult age 18 or older.
- be a member in good standing of BSTP, Inc.
- be physically able to walk approximately 40 blocks in the sand (up to 3.5 miles), including during inclement weather, at least one day per week.
- have, and use, a cell phone and email for patrol communications.
- participate in training sessions.
- commit to at least one entire season.
When you're ready to go it alone, you will select two adjacent zones from the list of unfilled slots. Our region is divided into ten zones, each covering about 10 blocks. Hence, the 40 block requirement: two 10-block zones, going and returning (2 x 10 = 20 x 2 = 40). That is roughly 3 miles in total. This is also when you will receive a highly coveted Patrol Volunteer t-shirt of your very own. You will also be eligible to assist with other tasks if you like.
FWC imposes many strict guidelines that we must adhere to in order to maintain our Permitted status. We must therefore make certain requirements of our volunteers. Some other things to think about, in no particular order:
- You are required to call in your patrol report no later than 7:15 (7:30 a.m. at end of season).
- You are expected to make every effort to meet your patrol obligations or make other arrangements beforehand for planned absences.
- If an emergency arises and you cannot make your scheduled patrol you are required to call in by 6 a.m.
- You might not get your first choice of patrol zones and days. Returning volunteers get first dibs on their slots from the previous season.
P.O. Box 50723
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32240-0723
Emergency Phone: (904) 613-6081