BSTP News Archive: 2011
2011 Nest Totals
Nests: 37 (35 loggerhead, 2 leatherback)
Total eggs: 4,035
Total hatched: 2,973
Dead hatchlings in nest: 259
Live hatchlings in nest: 74
Dead pipped: 41
Live pipped: 2
Unhatched eggs: 593
Eggs destroyed by predation: 186
Eggs destroyed by inundation: 240
This means that about 2,714 hatchlings *should* have made it safely to the water. Hopefully at least 2 of all those hatchlings will survive to reproduce.
- Just in time for your holiday shopping, we are having an online fundraiser. 40% of the proceeds from Mary Kay purchases will be donated to BSTP from 11/14-11/21. You must use the links provided for BSTP to get the credit. Click here for more info.
- Tuesday 11/15: America Recycles Day.
- Come out and visit the BSTP exhibit at Marshfest 2011 on Saturday Nov. 19. Free food and kayak rides!
- Saturday 11/19: Right whale festival and beach clean up.
- This weekend forecasters are predicting rough seas and high winds along the coast. If you happen to be on the beach this weekend, keep your eyes peeled for any hatchlings washing back in. If any are found on Atlantic, Neptune or Jax Beaches, call us at 904-613-6081. Other areas, call 1-888-404-3922.
- Shout-out to the A1A Parrothead Club for presenting their donation check to BSTP.
- A big thanks to the 89 people who braved the elements for the Coastal Cleanup and picked up about 106 bags of trash!
- 9/17 is International Coastal Clean Up Day! BSTP will have sites on the beach from 7-9 a.m. (Atlantic Blvd. and Beach Blvd.) where you can sign in, get supplies and a ticket for a free t-shirt. Click here to view the flyer.
- Hurricane Irene has dumped water on all nests except one. They can withstand a certain amount of inundation because the eggs are buried deep, but the actual impact will not be known until the nests are inventoried. There may be hatchlings or eggs found on the beach. If you find something in Atlantic, Neptune or Jax call us at (904) 613-6081. All other areas can call the toll-free FWC wildlife alert number at 1-888-404-3922.
- Save the date! Saturday September 17 is International Coastal Clean Up Day. BSTP and partner Keep Jax Beautiful will provide gloves and bags on the beach. Watch this page for more details coming soon.
- Annual 5th of July Beach Clean Up, 7-9 a.m. on the beach at Atlantic Blvd and Beach Blvd. We provide bags & gloves. Wear sturdy shoes & sunscreen, bring water. Under 18 requires adult. Community service hours available. Co-sponsored by Keep Jacksonville Beautiful.
- One night only! Local authors Frank Gromling and Rick Cannizaro bring their sea turtle-related books to First Street Gallery for a book-signing to benefit BSTP. This Friday, 6/10 from 7-9 p.m.
- Come one, come all! Join BSTP volunteers and supporters for the opening reception of the 9th Annual Sea Turtle Art Show at First Street Gallery on Friday, May 27 at 7pm. View the art while enjoying Music In The Courtyard. A percentage of the proceeds goes directly to support BSTP's conservation efforts. Show runs until June 27.
- Free family event! Sea Turtle Festival and Wildlife Expo, Saturday May 7, 1-6pm, at Bird Island Park (Ponte Vedra Library). Educational exhibits and presentations. Click here for more information.
- Last call for new volunteers for the 2011 season! If you wish to participate, please read the Volunteer Information page and if you meet the requirements, you must sign up by April 22.
- Be watchful for stranded turtles that may be washing up on the beach. If you spot one, please call BSTP right away at (904) 613-6081. Do not attempt to touch or move the turtle unless we instruct you to do so.
- Annual newsletter now available here.
- Visit the BSTP exhibit at the Never Quit Beach Fest, 5/20-21. Female finishers of the 5k get an awesome sea turtle pendant!
- Season kickoff and Volunteer Orientation meeting for 2011 season will be held on Monday, April 11, 6:30 pm at Beaches Library.
- Annual Polar Plunge Saturday 2/5: A1A Parrot Head Club will be meeting at the foot of Atlantic Blvd on the beach by One Ocean Resort at 8:30am this Saturday morning, Feb 5th to brave the frigid surf and raise funds for the Beaches Sea Turtle Patrol! Please join us in supporting this fantastic local environmental effort. If you have any questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2010 News Archive
P.O. Box 50723
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32240-0723
Emergency Phone: (904) 613-6081