The 2014 nesting season is winding down! See you on the beach!
2014 Nesting Count for May 1-September 30
57 nests (49 hatched, 1 non-productive) and 29 false crawls (abandoned nesting attempts). All loggerheads.
2013 FINAL NESTING NUMBERS
Nests: 72 (1 Dc, 1 Cm, 70 Cc)
Hatched: 63, Non-productive: 6, Lost: 3
Nests evaluated: 69
Eggs: 7,513 (5,999 hatched, 1,387 unhatched, 56 pipped, 71 predated)
False Crawls: 38 (2 Cm, 36 Cc)
BSTP News and Updates
- How many of you sea turtle fans are up to the challenge? Over $2000 in prizes from LOCAL business (Angie's Sub's, Salt Life, Ocean Waves, Adventure Landing, Carrabba's, Beaches Car Wash) up for grabs on SUNDAY OCT. 12. BSTP will have a special challenge just for you at this charity event! Sign up today and tell all your friends. See you on the beach!
- Come on out and enjoy a beautiful sunrise while helping to clean up the beach on Saturday 9/20/14, from 7-9 a.m. as part of International Coastal Clean Up Day! We provide the bags & gloves, you provide the people-power. Sign in at one of our 3 oceanfront locations (Atlantic Blvd., Beach Blvd., or 16th Ave. South (Jax Beach). See the flyer for additional info. No pre-registration is needed.
- Introducing BSTP - The Movie! Learn more about BSTP and our magnificent turtles.
- Check out this video of a hatchling from Nest #2 making its way home to the ocean.
Buy a cool shirt and help build a local sea turtle hospital! High quality limited edition t-shirts and tank tops are only $20. Each purchase brings us a step closer to the goal. Better hurry, though, this drive ends on 7/23.
- Shout out to the 102 people who came out to help with the 5th of July beach clean up. Together you all collected 173 bags of trash! The turtles thank you.
- Come out and join our beach clean up after the 4th of July celebrations! Saturday July 5, 7-9 a.m. Sign in on the beach at Atlantic Blvd., Beach Blvd. or 16th Ave. South. We provide the bags and gloves, you provide the people power! Wear sturdy shoes and bring water. Minors must be accompanied by adult over 18.
- LAST DAYS! HURRY IN . . .
Sea turtle art show benefiting BSTP ends July 7! Unique items for gifts or keep for yourself.
First Street Gallery
215B First St. Courtyard Shoppes
- The X Beach Charity Challenge scheduled for May 18 has been postponed. The new date is October 12. More details then.
- Want to "see" turtles? Check out guided turtle walks here or here.
- ACTION ALERT! Public Comment Needed to Stop Seismic Airgun Testing Off Our Shores – Join the St. Johns County Board of County Commissioners in opposition to seismic airgun testing off the Florida coastline. Seismic airgun testing is used to find offshore oil and gas deposits by shooting extremely loud bursts of sound every ten seconds for days or weeks at a time. The potential impacts to marine life could be catastrophic with as many as 38 marine species impacted, including the endangered North Atlantic Right Whale. Visit the BOEM website (http://bit.ly/CommentSJC) and enter your comment that Seismic Airgun Testing off St. Johns County's shoreline is unacceptable and will negatively impact our residents, visitors, and marine wildlife. More information and other options for submitting your comments before the May 7 2014 deadline: http://www.sjcfl.us/media/BOEMletter.pdf. You don't have to be a resident of the county to comment!
- We are happy to announce that all volunteer positions have been filled for the season: 9 new regular patrollers and 4 alternates. Thanks to everyone for your interest and we do have a waiting list for future needs. See you on the beach!
- Annual newsletter now online!
- Check out Bindi Irwin's sea turtle video. Way to go, Bindi!
- Fun new event! Are you up to the challenge? Join the X Beach Charity Race on Sunday May 18th, 9 AM. BSTP will have a sea turtle challenge and information table.
- Season kickoff meeting & new volunteer orientation will be held Tuesday 4/15, 6:30pm at Beaches Library. We expect to have 8 slots to fill with first dibs going to folks on the waiting list from last year, and to those with prior experience.
- We just received the @GuideStarUSA Exchange Bronze logo as a symbol of our commitment to transparency and accountability. Check it out and tell us what you think!
- [Jan. 10] We have recovered two live turtles this morning in Atlantic and Jax Beach. Both are small juveniles and most likely are cold-stunned from the recent low temps. They are on their way to rehab right now. We did drive the entire length of our beaches in case there were others that had not been spotted yet but we found no other turtles. Please be extra watchful since there could be more of them washing ashore. Report any sightings immediately to BSTP at 904-613-6081.
- 2013 News Archive
Our MissionTo promote the conservation of endangered and threatened marine turtles in Northeast Florida. [See the Endangered Species Act of 1973 and other protections].
Of the five species of turtles that nest in Florida, there are three species that nest locally: Loggerheads, Greens and Leatherbacks. Loggerheads (Caretta caretta) are the most common, followed by Greens (Chelonia mydas) and, on rare occasions, Leatherbacks (Dermochelys coriacea). We operate under the auspices of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Marine Turtle Program.
Got Gear?We've got all the turtle gear you need to make a statement and show your pride in being a sea turtle conservationist and a supporter of BSTP. Grab an official patrol t-shirt, wooden ornament or surfer necklace, all featuring our special hatchling mascot. Also available are front license plates that spell TUR-TLE, similar to the FL Dept. of Motor Vehicle specialty tag (as shown below). Combined with a BSTP membership these items make a great gift for the environmentalist in your life who has everything.
P.O. Box 50723
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32240-0723
Emergency Phone: (904) 613-6081