The 2017 season starts on May 1.
See you on the beach!
Final 2016 crawl count:
76 nests (1 green turtle, rest loggerheads)
75 hatched (1 final status unknown)
53 false crawls
Visit our Facebook page for additional updates, photos and interesting links!
BSTP News and Updates
- Beach clean up Saturday 3/25 from 8-11am. Three sites: 16th Ave. South, Beach Blvd. and Atlantic Blvd. Come on out and help us get ready for nesting season.
- Check out the Salt Life Fest Saturday 3/18, noon - 10pm. Say hi to our friends from Coastal Charm. They're going to donate 25% of sales to BSTP! Very cool products!
- We have a handful of volunteer openings this year. Applications being accepted through March or until slots are filled. Training will begin in April. Must apply online.
- Saturday, Feb. 18, 10-3: Come see our exhibit table at the grand opening of the Critical Care Manatee Center at the Jacksonville Zoo.
- Have questions about the proposed sea turtle watch group in Atlantic Beach? Read the facts from BSTP, FL Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, and Sea Turtle Conservancy.
- 2016 News Archive
Our MissionTo promote the conservation of endangered and threatened marine turtles in Northeast Florida. [See the Endangered Species Act of 1973 and other protections].
Of the five species of turtles that nest in Florida, there are three species that nest locally: Loggerheads, Greens and Leatherbacks. Loggerheads (Caretta caretta) are the most common, followed by Greens (Chelonia mydas) and, on rare occasions, Leatherbacks (Dermochelys coriacea). We operate under the auspices of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Marine Turtle Program.
P.O. Box 50723
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32240-0723
Emergency Phone: (904) 613-6081