The 2014 nesting season is almost here! See you in May.
2013 FINAL NESTING NUMBERS
Nests: 72 (1 Dc, 1 Cm, 70 Cc)
Hatched: 63, Non-productive: 6, Lost: 3
Nests evaluated: 69
Eggs: 7,513 (5,999 hatched, 1,387 unhatched, 56 pipped, 71 predated)
False Crawls: 38 (2 Cm, 36 Cc)
BSTP News and Updates
- Annual newsletter now online!
- Check out Bindi Irwin's sea turtle video. Way to go, Bindi!
- Fun new event! Are you up to the challenge? Join the X Beach Charity Race on Sunday May 18th, 9 AM. BSTP will have a sea turtle challenge and information table.
- Season kickoff meeting & new volunteer orientation will be held Tuesday 4/15, 6:30pm at Beaches Library. We expect to have 8 slots to fill with first dibs going to folks on the waiting list from last year, and to those with prior experience.
- We just received the @GuideStarUSA Exchange Bronze logo as a symbol of our commitment to transparency and accountability. Check it out and tell us what you think!
- [Jan. 10] We have recovered two live turtles this morning in Atlantic and Jax Beach. Both are small juveniles and most likely are cold-stunned from the recent low temps. They are on their way to rehab right now. We did drive the entire length of our beaches in case there were others that had not been spotted yet but we found no other turtles. Please be extra watchful since there could be more of them washing ashore. Report any sightings immediately to BSTP at 904-613-6081.
- 2013 News Archive
Our MissionTo promote the conservation of endangered and threatened marine turtles in Northeast Florida. [See the Endangered Species Act of 1973 and other protections].
Of the five species of turtles that nest in Florida, there are three species that nest locally: Loggerheads, Greens and Leatherbacks. Loggerheads (Caretta caretta) are the most common, followed by Greens (Chelonia mydas) and, on rare occasions, Leatherbacks (Dermochelys coriacea). We operate under the auspices of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Marine Turtle Program.
Got Gear?We've got all the turtle gear you need to make a statement and show your pride in being a sea turtle conservationist and a supporter of BSTP. Grab an official patrol t-shirt, wooden ornament or surfer necklace, all featuring our special hatchling mascot. Also available are front license plates that spell TUR-TLE, similar to the FL Dept. of Motor Vehicle specialty tag (as shown below). Combined with a BSTP membership these items make a great gift for the environmentalist in your life who has everything.
P.O. Box 50723
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32240-0723
Emergency Phone: (904) 613-6081