The 2013 nesting season has ended.
See you next year.
2013 FINAL NESTING NUMBERS
Nests: 72 (1 Dc, 1 Cm, 70 Cc)
Hatched: 63, Non-productive: 6, Lost: 3
Nests evaluated: 69
Eggs: 7,513 (5,999 hatched, 1,387 unhatched, 56 pipped, 71 predated)
False Crawls: 38 (2 Cm, 36 Cc)
BSTP News and Updates
- Check out some photos of the Coastal Clean Up.
- Please join us on Saturday 9/21 7-9 a.m. for our beach clean up as part of Ocean Conservancy's International Coastal Clean Up Day. Our partner is the City of Jacksonville which provides the bags and gloves.
- Come out to the annual 5th of July beach clean up and join us in making the beach a clean, healthy environment for people and turtles.
- New photos posted! Beach Obstructions and Nests & Crawls.
- Check out our photo albums of special events. Were you spotted? Tag yourself!
- Annual Sea Turtle Art Show!
You're invited to attend the 11th Annual Sea Turtle Art Show to benefit BSTP.
This event is hosted by First Street Gallery from May 22 until July 1. Join BSTP volunteers for the Opening Reception on Friday 5/24 from 7-9 pm for refreshments and music in the courtyard.
- Come out and visit the BSTP booth at Dancing in the Streets on Saturday May 18. Learn about the turtles, become a member and adopt a nest! For a special donation of just $10 you can have your choice of a BSTP shirt, or a mug/ornament combo while supplies last. Shirts are limited in size choice as we are closing out this inventory for good. When they're gone, they're gone! (Cash or checks only, please.)
- [May 1] Come to our Facebook page and join our turtle swag contest to highlight the start of sea turtle season. If we reach 800 page "Likes" by the end of today we'll pick a name at random to win some cool turtle trinkets. UPDATE: The winner did not claim their prize. We'll do another drawing on Endangered Species Day on May 17. To be eligible you have to "Like" our Facebook page.
- [April 9] The 2013 newsletter has been mailed to supporters, and is available here.
- We have 4 volunteer openings this year: Monday, Friday (2), and Saturday. Preference given to those on waiting list from last year (your name must be on the list), and to people with prior experience.
- The annual supporters newsletter usually mailed in March has been slightly delayed. We're working on getting that published soon. Please stay tuned!
- Season kick-off meeting: Tuesday April 23, 6:30 pm at the Beaches Branch Library. Check back in April for volunteer opportunities.
- Annual Polar Plunge Saturday 2/2/13: A1A Parrot Head Club will be meeting at the foot of Atlantic Blvd on the beach by One Ocean Resort at 8:30am to brave the frigid surf and raise funds for the Beaches Sea Turtle Patrol! Please join us in supporting this fantastic local environmental effort. If you have any questions, contact email@example.com.
- 2012 News Archive
Our MissionTo promote the conservation of endangered and threatened marine turtles in Northeast Florida. [See the Endangered Species Act of 1973 and other protections].
Of the five species of turtles that nest in Florida, there are three species that nest locally: Loggerheads, Greens and Leatherbacks. Loggerheads (Caretta caretta) are the most common, followed by Greens (Chelonia mydas) and, on rare occasions, Leatherbacks (Dermochelys coriacea). We operate under the auspices of the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC) Marine Turtle Program.
Got Gear?We've got all the turtle gear you need to make a statement and show your pride in being a sea turtle conservationist and a supporter of BSTP. Grab an official patrol t-shirt, wooden ornament or surfer necklace, all featuring our special hatchling mascot. Also available are front license plates that spell TUR-TLE, similar to the FL Dept. of Motor Vehicle specialty tag (as shown below). Combined with a BSTP membership these items make a great gift for the environmentalist in your life who has everything.
P.O. Box 50723
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32240-0723
Emergency Phone: (904) 613-6081